Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And So I Begin...

I keep asking myself why I want to start this blog.  It may be that, as of next week, I will be officially unemployed. This isn't a feeling I'm used to since I've had a job of one sort or another since I was 15.  I may be hoping that sharing useful information with society will make me feel like I'm still an actual participant.  On the otherhand, it could also be that I've watched Sex and the City or Julie and Julia one too many times. I freely admit that it is little silly to start this project now, considering that I quit my job (which I loved) to focus on my last year of graduate school (no comment). Needless to say, finding things to do isn't exactly the problem, and I don't really need a new hobby. None the less, I've always enjoyed writing, and I feel compelled to throw myself into the mix of cyber-civilization. I find myself spending way too much time yelling at radio shows, the evening news, and generally wondering why no one values the things I value. Maybe it's time that I share my thoughts in a more productive way.

I'm sure that the contents of this blog will end up being as uniformly unpredictable as I am. To summarize: I love to do just about everything. I used to think of this as a problem, but I've come to the conclusion that I only have two true hobbies...art and life. "Art" as in I love to find the beauty in the things around me.  This includes writing, cooking, gardening, decorating, "real" art projects, crafts, music, fashion, and whatever else comes along to inspire me. "Life" as in I'm glutton for experience - rich, meaningful, awe-inspiring experience. My favorite place to look for both of these things is in the outdoors.  I really enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and anything else that gets me outside. I also love to broaden my horizons with new music, books, friends, and travel. These inevitably inspire me to create more art or to experience more things and so the cycle continues...

As you read all of this, you may be wondering what you can expect from this blog.  At present, I'm planning to share my art work, review recent literary conquests, record interesting aspects of my trips, and share the scenic views as I live my life along a road less traveled. I do not pretend that my road is the only (nor the most interesting) avenue of its kind, but it is the only one I know. Whether this road will lend value to the lives of others or just give me an excuse to express my all too numerous opinions, only time (and with any luck, readers) will tell. I ask that you stay tuned and feel free to share questions or suggestions along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment