Sunday, June 13, 2010

On the road again....Part I

I started this blog to discuss topics rather than myself. However, for the duration of the summer my whereabouts will be periodically mysterious and my lifestyle somewhat nomadic. In honor of this rare scholastic fermata, I'm planning to actually write about myself and my various adventures (hope I don't bore you to tears). Consider it an ode to the all-American road trip.

I started on Saturday, June 12, 2010, leaving America's heartland just after a trip to the farmer's market, a quick lunch, and some frantic searching for misplaced odds and ends. I headed east toward the big STL. I made it through a small patch of lightening laden rain to "enjoy" the remaining 5 hours of my 7 hour drive in a hot, muggy fog of ickiness. I crossed over into Illinois before continuing on a more southerly course. Let me summarize Illinois for you...corn! I did pass the turn off for Cahokia Mounds, one of only twenty world heritage sites in North America. The civilization that built the mounds between 700 and 1400 A.D. represented the largest, most sophisticated pre-settlement culture on the continent north of present day Mexico. I had the pleasure of visiting this spot last spring, and if you've never been there, I highly recommend it (http://cahokiamounds.org/).

I passed into Kentucky around the time "A Prairie Home Companion" came on the radio. It seemed somehow fitting to listen to the bluegrass music as I headed south, Nashville bound. This radio program, if you haven't heard it, is a reproduction of sorts. It was started in 1974 and continues to this day as a live radio broadcast, produced in the style of an old fashioned variety show. You can find it on your local NPR station on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Check out: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

I rolled across the state line and into music city as the sun went down. I quickly cleaned up and was taken out on the town by my newly acquired cousin-in-law. She showed my Music Row, Belmont University, Vanderbilt University, and a great little local restaurant called "South Street" (http://www.pansouth.net/southstreet/index.php). It's apparently known for its oysters and the tree that it's built around. The atmosphere was funky and the food was tasty...totally worthy of a repeat. I had some terrific onion rings and a seafood steam pot. We had a couple drinks after that...nothing fancy. I went to bed and got up the next day ready to continue my travels....I could tell you about them now, but where's the suspense in that???

Pictures to come...

1 comment:

  1. How I love hearing your travel commentary. Wish I could have been there. I can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete