Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Quick Entry

It's been a while since I've been able to post something to my blog. My redneck foodie ways have not faded, have no fear. I'm just a little crunched for time these days preparing for my Board Examination (all prayers welcome). So, just a quick recap...the redneck foodie menu for the week has included:

1. Wild turkey and dumplings: this is of course a reference to the gallinaceous bird and not the famous bourbon...that would be a weird combination. In the intended form, it's a wonderful comfort food to celebrate the coming of fall. I did discovered that boiling the turkey in a chicken broth rather than water adds richness and depth, but even at a 1:1 broth/water ratio, it risks being a bit salty. I'm voting for a 1:2 ratio next time. I'll let you know how it goes.

2. Wild duck wrapped in bacon and grilled: a really nice way to celebrate a special occasion (Filet Mignon with a little twist). You can hold it together with tooth picks for an appetizer or put several in a row on small kabob skewers for an entree. We tried adding cheese but most of it melted away. Canned jalapenos on the other hand, stick around just fine and add a little spice (as my old Tech wildlife buddies may remember). Great with a red wine...

3. Deer Meat Pizza: as always, I live by the motto that where beef works, deer works better. It's a lean, organic alternative that is easy to come by in my house. On this occasion, I used it in place of ground beef on two Chicago style deep dish pizzas (baked in a cake pan with a thick crust and fresh mozzarella on the bottom. Deer meat, mushrooms, goat's cheese, and spinach made up the middle; and I topped it off with pizza sauce and sliced tomatoes from the local farmers market). Naturally, the toppings are your choice, but the style creates a very different pizza experience.


Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your recipes but please don't feel the need to fix them for me. (Except for the earlier mentioned cheese grits.)

    ReplyDelete