Sunday, October 6, 2013

Under the Fig Tree

When my husband and I rented an old farm house in rural Georgia, we adopted something rather common for old homesteads: a large patch of fig bushes. I don't know exactly why these plants were so popular with previous generations, but I have a few guesses. They are very easy to grow. The fruit is really delicious and easy to preserve. Despite this, part of me thinks that the biblical significance of this plant has played a role in its popularity. In fact, figs are mentioned more than 50 times in the bible. Adam and Eve clothed themselves in fig leaves after the fall, and the promise land was described as:
"a land with streams and pools of water, with springs flowing in the valleys and hills; a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil, and honey; a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing" (Deuteronomy 8:7-9)
As appealing as that picture is, my favorite story about a fig tree comes from the book of John in the New Testament. It's the calling of the disciple Nathanael (also known as Bartholomew).
'When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false."
"How do you know me?" Nathanael asked.
Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."
Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; King of Israel."
Jesus said, "You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that."' (John 1:47-50)
The first time I heard this story, I wasn't sure why someone would be convinced that Jesus was indeed the Son of God because He saw them sitting under a tree. But I heard a sermon about it several years ago, and I liked the explanation. The figs we grow in our backyards are really just bushes, but in the middle east, the figs are a different plant. They really are trees with low-hanging branches.  If you were sitting under one of these, you'd be pretty well hidden. Moreover, if you've gone to sit under a tree like that, you're probably thinking about something important or maybe praying. If you really think about it, the only explanation that would justify Nathanael's response would be if he were praying under the tree and Jesus acknowledged something about which only God could have known. What Nathanael was praying for I can only guess. Perhaps he was questioning God's purpose for his life or desiring to be used in a meaningful way. Maybe he desperately wanted to see the Messiah in his lifetime or was in the midst of a crisis of faith, his only question being, "Are you there?"  I often think about this story while I'm collecting figs in my yard. The sun is usually setting, and I look at the tangle of fig leaves and honey suckle. I would be pretty well hidden under my fig tree. It's comforting to think that God knew Nathanael while he was sitting under his tree, and He knows me under mine. He hears the prayers we say in quiet places, and He answers them when we least expect it.
 
Whatever the reason for their popularity through the generations, I think that figs are a beautiful, earthy fruit that is sometimes underappreciated. Since acquiring my own (plentiful) source, I've tried a few recipes that I would highly recommend. I used chopped figs (along with goat cheese) to stuff a pork tenderloin for my birthday party last year. I also canned fig and strawberry preserves (figs alone can be bland). They were great served on toast, grilled brie sandwiches, or over a brie pastry. Another great way to use this fruit while it's fresh is to grill it for a quick, everyday dessert.
 
Grilled Figs
4-6 figs (ripe but not soft) - washed and halved (longitudinally)
2-3 tsp granulated sugar
dash of allspice
4-6 Tbsp mascarpone cheese
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
 
Sprinkle the cut surface of each fig with 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar and place, cut side down, over indirect heat on a hot grill until the figs are soft and the sugar is caramelized. You may have to flip them over for a few minutes to make sure they cook through. Meanwhile, whip the cheese, confectioner's sugar, and lemon juice in a small bowl and refrigerate. When the figs are done, sprinkle them with a dash of allspice and add a dollop of the cold cheese mixture. Serve immediately.

Most recently, I came across a recipe for a fig and almond dessert known as a galette (if you speak French) or crostata (if you speak Italian). Essentially it's a rustic or free-form tart. The almond filling has the consistency of a lemon bar, and the subtle sweetness of the figs gives this dessert a beautiful, light flavor. My first bit of advice is to make sure that there is plenty of filling and fruit under the folds. Too much crust can make it a tiny bit dry. My second bit of advice is not to try to move it off the parchment paper (unless you're way more talented at such things than I am). When I took this to a party, I trimmed the parchment paper so that it wasn't noticeable, and moved it (paper and all) to a serving dish. This is truly an amazing and beautiful dessert that I would serve for any fall party. I found the original recipe on http://www.marthastewart.com, and I've changed it very little.

Fig and Almond Galette
Dough:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 stick of cold, unsalted butter, cubed
3-5 Tbsp cold water
 
Filling:
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 tsp all purpose flour
1/3 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch kosher salt
10-12 fresh, ripe figs
1-2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
 
To make the dough, combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor with a dough attachment. Add butter and pulse lightly until the dough has a crumbly consistency with visible pieces of butter remaining. Add the water, a little at a time until the dough has a stickier, crumbly consistency but holds together when pressed. Carefully dump the dough mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap, and work minimally to form a ball or disk (with floured hands). Seal the plastic wrap around the dough and place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
 
To prepare the fruit, wash and slice the figs, discarding the stems and the bases. Add the fruit juice and mix to coat. You can add a small dusting of granulated sugar to this if your fruit is a little under ripe. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate
 
Preheat oven to 350 F.
 
To make the filling, in a food processor with a chopping attachment, combine the blanched almonds and granulated sugar until everything is finely chopped. Add one of the eggs, butter, flour, vanilla, and salt. Pulse until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
 
When the dough has firmed up, remove it from the refrigerator. With a lightly floured rolling pin (on a lightly floured surface), roll the dough into a circle or oval with an approximately 1/4 inch thickness. Place this on a piece of parchment paper over a cookie sheet. Pour the almond mixture into the middle of the dough and spread evenly, leaving a 1 1/2 - 2 inch border round around the edge. Place the sliced figs, side by side, across the entire surface of the almond mixture. Fold the border of the pastry over so that it cover the outermost filling. Fold in sections, allowing pleats or creases to form as you change your angle. Whip the remaining egg with a teaspoon of cold water, and liberally brush the pastry dough, particularly at the corners.
 

Bake 45 min or until the crust is golden brown. Some of the filling will leak out but don't fret! It is easily trimmed away when everything is finished.
 

 
This is honestly one of my new favorite desserts. I hope you enjoy it also. Please share any fig recipes you have. I'd love to try them.

Photos by Jenn Ballard

No comments:

Post a Comment